"Fresh Start" server for AO ? FC announcement

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Nic
Big Leet

"Fresh Start" server for AO ? FC announcement

Post by Nic »

Chrisax
President

Re: "Fresh Start" server for AO ? FC announcement

Post by Chrisax »

Anarchy Online's 2019 server invites you on a voyage across space...and time! Start fresh with original content from launch, then experience additional expansions and level caps over time. Coming Soon!
Yes, I probably totally know.

It's the same thing they did for Age of Conan last year: the "Saga" server.

Simply put, it's a new temporary server where the game is installed in its original (more or less) version, without many features added overtime.

So it's something like "start fresh in AO as it was 15 years ago or so".

In AoC, you had goals to achieve that granted you rewards for the new character you create on the new server (one character per account), and when the server closes, your character is added to the normal server and some rewards become available for your normal characters (one reward can only go to one normal character).

AoC had a PvM "Saga" followed shortly by a PvP "Saga". It ended some days ago. I assume the hardware is now available to be used for AO...

We can also consider the possibility of a server that wouldn’t be a short-term one like Saga (some months). It would be really a huge risk to split the population over two servers.

It could be also (I don’t know how in practice) an “accelerated” version of AO history where leveling is faster, still old-school, and additions are introduced faster.

I posted on AO forums
https://forums.funcom.com/t/that-facebo ... ?u=chrisax
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Hmmm… thousands of new items added to the database…

https://forums.funcom.com/t/180834-new-items/55420

Could those new items be related to the upcoming special server, whatever it is, and are in the database for the time the new server closes and characters and merged with the normal server. In the case of an AoC-like “Saga” server.

Just a hypothesis.
Chrisax
President

Re: "Fresh Start" server for AO ? FC accouncement

Post by Chrisax »

This thread has been split from "Server downtime 25th febuary" to make it more visible.
bitnykk
Leetissimo!

Post by bitnykk »

So far i really don't see the benefit of this initiative. May be i lack of imagination ...
Ustarlen
Leetissimo!

Post by Ustarlen »

Agree with Bit - don’t get it lol. Maybe there is more and they are teasing it out for us
besaidaurocks
Maxi Leet

Post by besaidaurocks »

As classic wow has proved there alot dev time that goes into making a classic experince seem such a waste effort when new engine could be finished or parts of the game remodeled with new polygons. splitting the population over a new server seems nuts. as somone not there at start it might be fun to try but doesn't sound like it was better in terms of content just more social. even blizzard said classic wow does mean it will go back to tight social enivorment people remember. so confused by this.
Ultra
Champion Leet

Post by Ultra »

They did this with Conan also? iirc

Worked like 2-3 months then they merged lol
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LamaLeif
Little Leet

Post by LamaLeif »

I can't think of many things worse than playing vanilla AO and grinding through the levels on braindead, annoying and boring content. Been there done that, so thanks, but no thanks.
When they said they had new content on the way I kinda expected new content, not just recycling and sprinkling some glitter on 18 year old stuff.
besaidaurocks
Maxi Leet

Post by besaidaurocks »

Rumors suggest you can only play on server if you have a sub too (which we can hope is lower perhaps) but if that is true that make even weirder almost like a copy of classic wow where it will also have its own sub seperate from main game. Someone crazy is running funcom again.
bonniedoom
King Size Leet

Post by bonniedoom »

Meh....I'm sure I'll do it but really don't want to start over.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

It only planned to run for one year then i guess will see results if worth keeping running it

i might make a fixer or enf there . not sure yet :)
:apc: