Tank stats for NM mode

This forum is dedicated to the new universes where AP will be present: Star Wars The Old Republic and The Secret World
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Tank stats for NM mode

Post by Elrojo »

Hi guys,

Was looking to make a tank suit for PvE with my bullion as I go. Need 190 bullion per piece btw.

What stats do I need though in terms of AR vs HP? Was thinking 25:75.

Also what glyphs should I be putting in? I read conflicting statements about using protection as opposed to block/defense. The proposal is that 750 protection reduces incoming damage by approximately 10% however it's specific to its type, so magic to magic and phys to phys. It's means you may need to duplicate talis depending on the boss. Luckily most bosses have only 1 type of damage. You also get 249 from your SP so it's not a stretch to have 500 more, however it limits the block/defense stats.

Secondly, if I just go down the block/defense route, do I need to be putting in some Hit or something to reduce glancing on the mobs, or really it doesn't matter?

My original thought was to have about 1000 in block and 800 in defense and forgo protection altogether, but I'm not sure about this hit rating thing.

The counter proposal is to have 500 protection (duplicated for magic/protection) and then 800 defense and 500 block. However that might be low in block stats and if I wanted to PvP in the kit I would need more block than protection.

The overwhelming consensus is higher defense lends itself more to chaos/blade but high block can use hammer. Any suggestions?
Aesop
Growing Leet

Re: Tank stats for NM mode

Post by Aesop »

I've done a little research in this area as well for my potential sg/blade tank. My opinion is mostly academic since I haven't built and tested a tank yet.

The short of it is, from a damage mitigation point of view, you can go either Blade or Hammer with about the same effect. Given the 1800 pts you wanted to spend, you should be able to get 700 in def, block, and prots using another 300 in effects.

Using the following assumptions:
  • You will have access to all the passives of the other tank weapons (you are endgame after all)
  • Common belief is that 700 is about the point of diminishing returns for stats.
  • Can get 150 in def using Blade's Matador (A) or On Guard (P)
  • Can get 150 in block using Hammer's Grip Whip (A)
  • Only need 350 in prots: 249 base and 150 from Protection effect from Hammer's Furnace (A) or Bullheaded (p), Shotgun's Hardcase (P) or Mitigating Factor (P), or Blood's Clotting (EP); though given the cool down on Furnace, any of the passives should be preferred.
  • The Discipline and Reinforcement Head signets provide additional defense or prots when you are glanced
  • The Resilience Head Signet provides additional block when you block
For either weapon, you can use a builder to stack effects and get the additional defense or block. While not as reliable, you can use passives to get your prots up.

The following actives directly affect def, block, or protections. Minor Ward effect, non-stacking 7.5% damage reduction seems to have triggers in each line. Hammer has the only Major Ward effect (25% dmg reduction) w/ Obsidian Aegis, if the target is Impaired.

Builders:
Blade: Matador - 1 x Defense Rating Effect (30 def up to 150 def)
Hammer: Grip Whip - 1 x Block Rating Effect (30 block up to 150 block)

Finishers:
Hammer: Unstoppable Force - Major Block Chance Effect (Block Chance +40% for 6 sec)

Other
Blade: Martial Discipline - Major Defense Effect (Glance Chance +50% for 6 sec)
Blade: Crimson Theater/Shadow Play - Minor Defense Effect (Glance Chance +10% for 8 sec)
Hammer: Furnace - 1-5 x Protection Effect (30 up to 150 PP & MP)
Hammer: Trucker - Major Block Chance Effect (Block Chance +40% for 6 sec)

Hope this helps.

-Aesop
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Re: Tank stats for NM mode

Post by Elrojo »

I also talked to a few NM tanks.

They said you generally have 1 major and 1 minor AR talisman as well as about 500 in hit.

It's generally accepted that about 700 block and defense is par with any left overs for protection. You gt 249 from SP so about 90 or so of each nets you 340ish.

If you like hammer then you should go with that for block and if you like blade then go defense. In the end either will be equivalent.

However with the increased CD on art of war and the increased DPS to stunning swirl, this may be a good option to replace. But the DMG reduction on AoW means its probably a better choice.