Tanking Gear

Asdran
Mini Leet

Tanking Gear

Post by Asdran »

With 1.7 coming, and having lusted over some of the New York Raid drops, I thought I'd write some notes on gear. Mainly for Tanking, but I have tried to build a leech healing deck as well, so some of that thrown in.

Resources:

TSW Gear Planner http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=57674 - this spreadsheet like app allows you to specify all gear slots, signets (including colour), and works right up to 10.5 gear

Glyph Calculator http://seekrit.info/Tools/Glyph_Calculator.htm concentrates only on the Glyphs, and only goes up to 10.4, but you can save builds and share them by URL (web bookmark) which makes them handy in game.

ACT http://advancedcombattracker.com/download.php also helps for doing your own research, rather than relying on sometimes out of date, or just plain wrong stuff on the forums. This very useful tool was developed by an Everquest 2 player, for, you guessed it - EQ2. Where I spend quite a few hours poring over combat, and even having it do its Text-To-Speech tricks to call out jousts - Its not as useful in TSW, but there is a plugin which makes the basic parsing at least work.

Stats you Need:

Block
Penetrated hits hurt. These can be counted by raising your char's Block. Exact level isn't possible, but you as a minimum want these to be infrequent enough, that your Healer doesn't hate you, and 2 in a row are unlikely. 600+ is what I think is a minimum - I ran with 622 for a the longest time (admittedly with a Hammer secondary). You can add in a Block Kickback, Block Stim (probably triggered off YOUR penetrating), Abilities like Trucker and Stone Wall. These can make Polaris 6/6 doable with lesser gear, or a breeze at 10.4

Hit
To interrupt the bosses insta-kill, aggro-wipe or just hurt lots abilities you need to be able to land your ability on them. For this you need Hit. Again 600+ is a minimum, with abilities like Fever Pitch, and perhaps a Signet of Castigation, you are reasonably safe even in the Hell dungeons, or the nasty one Facilty where a glanced hit does damage back to you (like some annoying mobs in Egypt who heal on glance).

3rd Stat
Once you have the 600/600 above, the next stat (or increasing one of them) is more optional.
There are several useful things you could spend your points on next.
  • Penetrate - This allows you to debilitate using 12gouge (and possibly Fatal Flourish) = 30% damage reduction at 10 stacks.
    Physical Protection - reduces most of the damage somewhat (as currently Magical hitting bosses are a minority)
    Defence - Well it used to be good, so if you have left over PvP gear from glance tanking days .... you might get a few extra glances
    Evade - Spikier damage, as it either misses you entirely or hits hard. Not something I've used so can't comment on its utility or amounts needed to be useful.
Personally I've gone for 658 Hit (+Kingdom Signet), 761 Block (so I might get major ward a bit from the Hammer passive, without actually equipping a hammer), and 638 Penetration, which is probably a bit low for a DPS, but Clearing the Path is the main trigger for 12gouge.

Why to Put Stats:

First - do NOT Glyph an item with mixed stats. You lose slightly overall in rounding (for min-maxers) but it makes it a lot harder to swap equipment around for different fights.

Second - if you want to play multiple roles (and even if you don't its headache inducing not to) - try to minimise hybrid talismans. What I mean by that is Penetrate Glyph on a Healing Talisman, Block on an Attack Rating one - that kind of thing. You can't avoid it entirely in Leech Healing, but you can mainly in Tanking.

Third - Train to Cairo, and the new 1.7 quests give access to blank BUT UPGRADEABLE 10.1 purple talismans for Head and Neck respectively. These save your hard earned credits, by jump starting your gear. The Head signet (Kingdom) is also nice for stat limited characters like Tanks and Leech Healers. Thinis - well thats for another thread.

Fourth - Be optimistic, save room for those New York raid upgrades that you know you deserve :)

Finally - and this is my personal contribution - Head talismans are cheap (see Third above), AND they have the biggest stats. So make them optional. ie Put your basic essential stats on everything else (well bar weapons), so that you can swap the head item between fights.

Where to Put Stats:

Head - optional. Health/Penetrate mostly for me, but Penetrate, Physical Protection (N.Y. Raid / Ankh), Block - whatever defensive stat you need for that fight, Attack Rating instead of Health for when you don't need 10k health. I don't have an evade set (yet), as Kickback, Stim and a couple of Chaos actives are enough to survive Machine Tyrant, and none of the bosses prior (in Hell Raised) the "increased damage until you evade" buff is serious enough to warrant it, and Brooklyn Bracer will do evades all by itself.
Finger - Major - Health/Block
Neck - Major - Attack Rating/Hit Rating
Wrist - Major - Health/Block - make room for the Brooklyn Bracer
Luck - Minor - Attack Rating/Hit Rating - make room for Subway Tokens
Waist - Minor - Health/Block - make room for the N.Y. Buckle
Occult - Minor - Attack Rating/Hit Rating
Weapon - Sword - Penetration (for clearing the path and blade builder)

This has 1 major and 2 minors with attack rating, which at 10.4.4 gives you 10.8k Health,
and so pleases the standard PUG healer who is scared by 4 digits (9999 or below). For those who aren't - well thats when you bring out the Attack Rating animas and the Attack/Pen head.

Overall stats with the above are:
10.4.4 : 10.6k Health, 761 Block, 658 Hit, 638 Pen
10.5.5 : 11k Health, 827 Block, 710 Hit, 682 Pen

You can go with 1 Major Attack Rating and 1 Minor as a minimum, or go to silly extremes of Attack Rating if your group's healer is bored.

For re-use you can Leech Heal or DPS with your Attack/Hit and Attack/Pen items, as long as you pretend the signets are appropriate (mind you an Ablation signet isn't entirely wasted on a DPS or Healer)

Other Random Thoughts:

Off hand should be shotgun, 'cause it just looks good.
Okay, in order of priority because:
Defensive Turret (see also Shotgun SP weapon passive)
Breaching Shot - check with 12gouge and 1point Clearing the Path consumers for synergy
Clean Up
Flack Jacket
(and for the cheapskates - all of those can be done with no penalty with a QL0 weapon).

Blood is another useful alternative - Cold Blooded is the best taunt in the game, and Exquisite Corpse is the best damage mitigation (Diamond Grit is the same effect but much longer re-use)

Art of War is the best tank elite in the game, bar none. Interrupt, Save (glances hit softer), and Forced Aggro - all in one.

Do NOT put Hit rating on your weapons. Your whip has the best re-use of any interrupt, and will not get the benefit.

Signet of the Kingdom (free) and an Ablation Signet on a minor are pretty nice. Breaching, Castigation and Rejuvenation are the other good ones. Purple if you can get them, but Blue aren't too expensive. The rest don't give much bang for the buck. I have blue Order ones in non-Kingdom head gear, mainly as they aren't horribly expensive, but the proc rate isn't stellar.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Re: Tanking Gear

Post by Elrojo »

Cheers Asdran. Thanks for all the work put in.

To add some info to the above, evade doesn't work well at all. For the reasons that you mentioned. Spikes in the incoming damage make it very hard for healers to keep you up. You can try it for a laugh, but best done in teams where you know the healer is well geared, uses blood and is familiar with the bosses.

Asdran, it would be good if you can also post some info on some builds you use for 18's, ankh, HE etc. even if just for people's reference and then they can tinker if desired.

Also some short tips on the 18's bosses. When to move, some placement tips etc. Nothing too in-depth needed, but I see some tanks who fail a lot just basically from bad positioning or not getting to bosses/adds fast enough.

My small experience tanking is that as a healer or DPS the job looks mostly pretty easy, but when 60% of your screen shows the boss only and you are concentrating on when/what to impair it can sometimes get hairy. So some starter points, or pro-tips would be great.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

This is a very nice and interesting post, Asdran. :) Thanks for it, really good job. I hope everyone will contribute like this! =D>

It also shows indirectly the design flaws of some stats/skills and of tanking in general (come on... a whole stat, Evades which is normally a main point of many Chaos powers, being useless due to how bosses work and to the fact healers don't have the tools to heal evades tanks well... what the hell?!). But I'll rant another day. :P

I'll try to post some builds, especially for specific situations (forget Masterplanner rewards in this case). I'm not sure I consider any of them "final" but at least they work... or quite work. ,)

Elrojo wrote:My small experience tanking is that as a healer or DPS the job looks mostly pretty easy, but when 60% of your screen shows the boss only and you are concentrating on when/what to impair it can sometimes get hairy. So some starter points, or pro-tips would be great.
Actually several bosses not only take even more than 60%, but the rest of the screen often shows nothing useful (you often just can't see what your team is doing). :crazy: Honestly, yes, I can't think of any game -especially AO, AoC, CoH/CoV- where tanking is, on average, as tough as in TSW. :shrug:
Aesop
Growing Leet

Post by Aesop »

Thanks Asdran for the great guide.

I've been planning/wanting to do a tank for a while, but ended up picking healing as a secondary prof. Will have to evaluate how to start farming gear after I finish up healing.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

I tanked 17/18.

I have 10.4 glyphs based on Azy's recommendations. most went fine. Was a beginner group so DPS was low. Several phases on the ak'ab and such.

However apparently i took hits from MT like a bitch.

Zeril tells me that I need more evade passives, or possibly i need to kite more.

I had no trouble with wells. But apparently just incoming dps. Though I am slightly skeptical since the healer was in 10.0 stuff.

Any hints As?
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Elrojo wrote:IHowever apparently i took hits from MT like a bitch.
What kind of hits? I tanked Machine Tyrant NM several times (def+block setup + Forge in Fire regeneration passive) and I don't think -contrary to many people- that it's that tough: it's tricky, much more than a question of pure damage. You need serious heals though, of course.

The funny thing is I can solo MT in Elite (did it for like 50% of the boss' life in an AP team a while ago), with a specific setup, due to the fact you have time to heal up -if you have appropriate heals- during the orange phase. I was very surprised to discover that. Still, it takes forever.

You probably know the following but I'll say it just in case.

You need to avoid the big circular AoE called demolish: it's a lot of damage in NM. The vicious thing is Demolish's area is slightly bigger in NM than in Normal and Elite (and possibly the AoE progression is slightly faster?): in Normal you can just run out of Demolish. In NM, unless you're lucky, you can't and using the Rocket launcher to jump out is the best solution. (Which means you lose the 1K shield of the chainsaw.)

IMHO, you must kite red reticules, and you must avoid the orange bombed areas, except in the very last seconds of boss' life maybe.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

ya i avoided all the demolish and kited the red bombs. I actually only got 2 tries at it then some ppl had to leave.

TBH i didnt think i had a problem. but possibly heals were low. However due to new role i wasnt watching everything so i could he taken a lot of damage.

As i stated the healer had a lot of lower QL HR talis and sometimes i thought he was too far to heal. but hard to tell.

So far I have made pol 6/6 DW 6/6 HE 5/6 and Ankh 5/6 (thanks to AP patience).
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

This is already a nice score, Rojo. :)

And, yes, in TSW, tanks really need great heals when they tank at their "level" because you have so many things to do that you can very hardly do something to heal yourself. One passive, one active (often Turn the Tables, 640 heal) and a potion... most of the time it's the best you can get. I'm not sure yet about heal-tank.