Grrrr

This forum is dedicated to the new universes where AP will be present: Star Wars The Old Republic and The Secret World
Lasarina
Big Leet

Grrrr

Post by Lasarina »

Ok, I have been voodoo´ed no doubt!! :shock:
B4 my vacation my desktop started making crazy noices, I did find out that the cpu fan/cooler, needed to be changed. I figured I could wait til after vacation, now it seems I waited a few days too long. I tried to clean it, put it back together, but now when I start up computer it runs 20-30 secs then shuts down again!! Varanty is past and I think I´m gonna have to buy a new one.

Then ny office chair broke earlier today, and if that wasn´t enough my satelite box decided to die!! All this within a week!!

Frail

Anyways, be back asap I guess.
Laptop isn´t powerfull enough to tun SWTOR :(
noobas
Leetissimo!

Re: Grrrr

Post by noobas »

omg lasa! thats horrible!

see what happens when you're not in a guild with me for a couple weeks? everything pops :/

frail == fail

good one :P
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Bredin
Leetissimo!

Post by Bredin »

Gah Lasa! Sorry!

Here is something you can do to de-voodoo:

If this does not work you might have to try some stuff with chicken blood and sorry, you are on your own.
General, Athen Paladins
Rulzern
King Size Leet

Post by Rulzern »

Did you check if the cooler unit is properly connected to the chip? With those modern clip-on thingies, one clip can come off and make everything go tits up.
Lasarina
Big Leet

Post by Lasarina »

meh, seems I was a clown when I put back the fan/cooler!! (What a surprice!!)
Like Rulz said, it was not tightened enough, been running now for an hour, fan still making noice though, so I will have to see if I can get that replaced. Dunno how hard that is to find, but 4 screws can be losened and it can be taken up from between the ribs or whatever its called on each sides. Btw, will it be a good idea to get some new cooling paste to put on, since the old paste is all dried up?
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Ugh Lasa, sorry. But it's not a desperate situation if it's only the CPU cooler.

What is your CPU? And if you know what is your motherboard or your comp model?

With that, it will be easy to find a good cooler you can install, coming with a decent notice, etc. (In the worst case, a spare standard cooler will always fit.)

As for the paste, you will first need to clean the old one.

Use something very soft, like a Kleenex. If there is something you can't removed, scratch gently with an old credit card or plastic soon, or such. Then use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of small bits that fell around.

With a new cooler, you'll get either some thermal paste in a tube or it will be already installed as a thin coat of grey paste on the cooler (easier and today perfectly working at least on good models).

Let us know the info about CPU etc. :)
Lasarina
Big Leet

Post by Lasarina »

Ok, I screwed up again!! Big surprise!! Ok, I went and bough a new cooler since the dude in the store said that he didnt have a fan that could fit between the ribs. So I bough one that he said would fit, cause of some different stuff for different motherboards.
I get home just to find out that there were no option that would make it fit on my mb.
My mb has some fittings (dont know what else to call them) instead of just some holes to click down the new one. I then took the new fan and looked at it and decided that it was same size as old one, so I screwed it of some brackets and I put it in the old one just fine.
So good so far, happy with myself and money saved from doing it myself I turned on pc, was running fine, I checked some mails and stuff. And then that anoying noice started again!!! I was like wtf is going on. I then found out that I had missheard where the noice came from. It is the freaking gfx cards fan!!!!! Dangit. So I guess I´m looking at getting a new one very soon!! Current gfx card is a Geforce GT 230, so an upgrade will be nice I guess. Not that old one have been bad.
Lasarina
Big Leet

Post by Lasarina »

Don´t ask how I could have missheard where the noice came from!! :shock:
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

It's very easy to mishear where a noise comes from in a PC. I had a smilar issue with my "monster". I thought it was a fan and actually it was the MB tray that was not well tightened and vibrated.

It's technically possible to replace the fans and/or cooler on a graphic card but you really need to know what you're doing. It's more complicated than for a CPU.

I don't know how much you want to invest. Currently, with the games we play, Nvidia works more safely than ATI (but many ATI cards work just fine, only some have issues; it's a pity as, in low and mid-range, ATI is usually a bit better than Nvidia for the same price). If you go for Nvidia then have a look at what Asus makes. They have good series. They are not alone of course.

500 series
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ageSize=20

GT series (including "low" so-called 500's which are not really 500's)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ageSize=20
But they have no GT 450 listed

For all-purpose and a good upgrade over your 230, I'd say try a GT440-based card.
ASUS ENGT440/DI/1GD5 GeForce GT 440 at "$94.99 $74.99 with Rebate"

For better gaming, go for a GTS450 as it's not a lot more expensive and it offers 70% better performance in many games...
None at Newegg but probably because they price the GT550 very close to the usual 450's price. Can be easily found elsewhere though.

If you want to invest, a GT550 is just fine for any game. No need to invest in a 570 like I did, it's a bit extreme.

The ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) ENGTX550 TI DC TOP/DI/1GD5 Video Card at "$139.99 $119.99 with Rebate" is very nice.

For what benchmarks are worth, you can find some there (among many others):
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/grap ... rds,1.html

Note: most Asus cards have a specific cooling system working well but taking room. You often need to have the slot near your video card's slot free.
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

where do you live chris?

I thought I remember england.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Yes why? Although I'm a lot on the Continent.

Because I used a reference to newegg? It's just because I saw many AP's using references to this store in the past, so I used it.
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

what no I don't know anythign about newegg.

no I'm stalking you naow!
Lasarina
Big Leet

Post by Lasarina »

Thx alot Chris for input. :)
I have looked at it, I cant use Newegg though, since I´m in Denmark and taxes will be horrible. Nice prices though. I can buy in Denmark though. Thing is that the system I bought 2½ years ago was finished build machine from a computer store here in Denmark, and for some reason they have used a very small cabinet so I doubted that I could get a gfx card that size in! Btw I have no particular love for Nvidia products. So a ATI card could be a solution too. I even have played with the thought of buying a new computer. I know I should built it myself ( I have built 4 or 5, 5+ years ago).
Is just that I have gotten too lazy and confused since then :shock: . Don´t think I can manage it brain wize anymore! One thing is sure though, I NEED to do something the noice from fan is making me go crazy!!
Lasarina
Big Leet

Post by Lasarina »

Btw guys! What is the point of having 2 gfx cards?
Lasarina
Big Leet

Post by Lasarina »

Is this totally no go or?
I read a review of a pc similar to this from Medion aswell, that got very high scores.

http://www.medion.com/gb/electronics/pr ... amer_pc_32

There are several pc stores here who builds pc´s for ppl, with components you can chose, but when I try and build one with the options (looking at you guys stuff) it runs up in quite a lot, not thta I´m not willing slaugther "piggie" like Chris did, but maybe some of the stuff might be overkill!

Btw, this is my current pc, which I have been very happy with

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... r1002_uken